Thursday, October 17, 2013

Midterm season


In other news:
It's midterm season. My last one is on Friday when I have my Chemistry midterm, but I am done with my Engineering, math, and Chem lab midterms. I also have a revised English paper due Monday. I think I have done pretty good on all of them, though I'm a little nervous to see the results.
The Engineering 102 Solar Oven Throwdown is next Tuesday. This is when all the freshman engineers compete against each other to determine who can get the highest temperature in their solar ovens at the lowest cost. My group's prototype was the hottest in our class, but we have to make a new one by Tuesday. It is supposed to be a lot of fun, and we get awesome t-shirts (which I am actually wearing right now).

I saw my first scary movie all the way through last week (Dead Silence) and ended up staying up way too late watching Doctor Who with its cheesy monsters to get the image of the lady turned into a ventriloquist dummy out of my head. Also, I never realized how big a part the music plays in movies until I watched this one. I'm not sure  I'll show up again for Scary Movie Friday (unless there's free food again)
Lat weekend I hosted two girls for Suite with SWE, which was a lot of fun. All the girls in my dorm who were hosting got together and made makeshift pizookies (cookies and ice cream) and watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which was cute. I ended up taking one to my chem lecture on Monday. I felt a bit inadequate, though, because one of the girls I was hosting was already presenting university level research and the other was taking more dual enrollment classes than high school classes.
Honors freshman have a common reading book that everyone is supposed to read over the summer. This year, it was Planetwalker, by John Francis, PhD. Dr. Francis spent 22 years of his life not riding motorized vehicles and 17 years not speaking, during which he received his BS, Masters, and Doctorate degrees. The idea is really interesting, but the book was kinda monotonous (I mean, there are only so many permutations of "I walked, and I met people who were confused, and I didn't talk").  Anyways, he's coming to campus this weekend, and a bunch of people from the Honors college get to meet him. I submitted a poem about space shuttles on "What Makes a Difference," and was a category winner. So, free lunch on Friday!
I am on a soccer team for my dorm for intramural season B. I may or may not be captaining it. I'm really looking forward to that.
The Rube Goldberg machine is really coming together. It now involves a step where a UFO abducts a hamster.
I'm hoping I can get pictures at the Throwdown. Anyway, that's all for this week! Be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment