Thursday, October 3, 2013

Explanations

I guess I should probably rephrase my previous post - it's probably easier to understand paragraphs than a badly reworded song.
I ended up going to English class yesterday with nos hoes on because my flip flop blew out and I tripped while sprint walking to class. I got there just before the bell, so I was OK. I just have this nice scrape on my left knee.
The laundry machine ate one of my socks last week. I don't know where it went.
The biggest project in my Engineering 102 class is to build a solar oven as cheaply as possible that can bake a biscuit. This Tuesday, we tested our prototypes, but with eggs instead of biscuits (cheaper and less messy). My group (proudly named Carry On My Wayward Sun, with an oven named Kansas) achieved an internal temperature of 208.7 degrees Celsius (407.66 degrees Fahrenheit) which was the best in our class. We had the only egg that was thoroughly hard boiled, maybe even overdone, other than our teacher's, who brought a commercial solar oven. The oven is a duct-taped configuration of cardboard, newspaper, and aluminum foil, and again, I'll post pictures as soon as the teacher and/or my group mates send them to me.
Calculus at the U of A works a little strangely - the first three weeks are a separate class that is an intensive review of precalculus, then a test is taken, then you move into either Calc 1 or precalculus depending on how well you did. My teacher for the first class was fine, except she had a bad tendency of saying "and-so-um" every other sentence. I am now in the calculus class, and the teacher for this class has a super thick southern accent, which is kinda distracting and sometimes hard to understand. I'm still doing fine, though. Good news is, I have a 4.0 GPA with the 1 credit from the first class.
There was a Big Bang theory watching party in the game room of my dorm, and there was food. I missed most of the first episode, but it was a lot of fun. I still would rather have more science jokes, but the show is still pretty funny.
There is one guy in my dorm who is a professional DJ. It gets really loud at about 1 o'clock Saturday nights when I'm trying to sleep, but I've learned to live with it.
On Tuesday, there was a big Jeopardy style showdown between the wings in my dorm. I was elected team captain of my wing, 3W. We were ahead until the final jeopardy, where we bet all our points. We lost them all. It was still fun, though, and the winners were 3E, the guys from the other end of our floor.
Another interesting thing - there was a sleepover last Saturday at the house of some of the girls from the Newman Center. I never knew there were so many Catholic pick-up lines (Hey, did you forget your rosary? You can use my fingers instead).
I am doing fine. Again, I'll post pictures when I can find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment