Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween Time

         Sorry this is late. I was planning on waiting until after class to give the results of the Solar Oven Throw down, but I won't hear them until Tuesday. Then I planned to sit down and write after the Rube meeting, but then something freaky happened.
         Every year, the Yuma dorm puts on a haunted dungeon in its basement benefiting a local food bank. Since this was the 20th year that this has happened, this year the dungeon spans three dorms, starting in Gila, crossing the back of Maricopa, and ending up back in the basement of Yuma. I was walking back home to Gila from my club meeting, when my friend Ricky came up to me and said, "Hey, I'm going to help out with the Haunted Dungeon. You want to come?"
        I decided I would, thinking we would help with the outside setup or the food or something. By the time we got outside to help, everything was pretty much all set up. One of the people in charge sent us to the back of Yuma for makeup, because apparently, they needed more zombies, so I became a "Back Alley Basic Zombie". We spent the rest of the night chasing the golf carts between Gila and Yuma, shuffling, groaning, eating the golf cart drivers, the works. I looked pretty scary. It was so much fun. Apparently, the dungeon scared the director of Residence Life so bad that she spent a good while with her hands over her face saying, "Oh my God." I personally didn't see that, but I know we did scare one guy enough to make him skip the whole second part of the dungeon, and some people cried, and almost everyone screamed.
        So that was how I spent my Thursday night, and I'll probably do it again tonight.  And that's why I didn't get to a computer last night to write.

In other news...
Our solar oven did very well, getting up to 201.7 degrees Celsius. It was later in the day, and cooler, and our oven was slightly smaller, which led to our prototype actually being hotter than our actual oven. We did pretty well, again being the oven with the highest temperature in our class. Our performance index, which measures how well we predicted our temperature, was about twenty. The performance index is used to judge the contest. My team also applied for the All-in-the-Same-Boat award for teamwork, and we had two pretty good interviews with the Gore representatives who were sponsoring the event. I'm pretty hopeful we'll get some kind of award.
I am co-captaining an intramural soccer team for my dorm. That should be a lot of fun.
Midterms are over!!! Overall, I'm pleased about how I did, although I could have done better in Chemistry. Although I beat the class average by a lot, the teacher doesn't curve, so I'm stuck.
I've figured out that age/grade in school and desk size are inversely proportional and the materials needed to take a test are directly proportional to grade, which is very annoying when trying to take a test that needs pencils, erasers, a periodic table, a formula sheet, and a graphing calculator. 
I'm going to be Hermione for Halloween - one of my friends with a car offered to drive me to buy a cloak and to lend me a wand.
The roommate switch is working out so far. Although I have slightly less space, I like the room better overall.
That's all for this week - I'll try to be better about posting for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment