Thursday, September 5, 2013

Week two

These past few weeks, I have been welcomed to exhaustion by the college president, the college of engineering, my dorm, the catholic church, the football team, the rec center, the associated student body, the residence hall association, and some random religious groups I probably will never see again unless they have free pizza outside my dorm again.
This past week was all about getting involved before school becomes overwhelming. Last Friday, I got involved with ZonaZoo, the extremely crazy, extremely tiring, but extremely fun student section at the football game. The game was a blowout, but I finally figured out why people were crossing their arms and making threes with their hands (it's an intimidating symbol thing on the other team's third downs and also makes "WC", for wildcats). I am also now a member of the Gila hall council, which should be fun. I have found my inroad to OSIRIS-REx, the NASA funded asteroid exploring mission in SEDS, the Students for the Exploration and Development of Space. That seems like an awesome group of people who are all very passionate about space. My name is also down for the Rube Goldberg Club, the Quidditch team, Society of Women Engineers, the Baja Club, and the Fun Club, although I have not gone to any of their meetings yet.
I also am on the dorm's intramural sand volleyball team, the Gila Monsters, because no other girls play soccer or flag football :(. (not that I could compete with the Brazilians on the second floor when it comes to soccer, anyway). It still should be fun.
Last thing to report: I successfully interviewed for a position as an usher for UAPresents, the fine arts showcase on campus. I'm pretty excited about that. It's not a huge time commitment, but it's a little bit of extra money and I might get to see Lang-Lang or Jungle Jack Hanna or the local symphony orchestra.
I'm doing okay in my classes. Most of the stuff is still pretty easy, and I blew through the Excel training in ENGR 102. I'm keeping up with my homework, but definitely staying busy, so I'm sorry if I haven't been able to answer all your phone calls.  
Have a great week. I'll keep posting when I can.
What does a dyslexic Santa say? 
Hydroxide, hydroxide, hydroxide!
(OH, OH, OH)

1 comment:

  1. This is so neat Grace - it's bringing back so many memories of when I arrived at UofA in 1985. I was an Alpha Chi with your mom, even room mates for a semester. I lived in AZ/Sonora as a freshman and I remember all the flyers on the mall!!! Have fun and good luch!

    ReplyDelete