Thursday, September 19, 2013

A funny thing happened on the way to the Union...

So yesterday I was walking along, minding my own business, ecstatic I had got out of math class a little early, and that I had time for lunch before my next class. As I was walking, I saw that he was carrying a sign that said, "Women belong in the Kitchen" in big block letters. He was yelling really loudly and making a general nuisance of himself. I also noticed his shirt had Bible verses on it and looked like the end-of-the-world-repent-ers I had seen at the beach sometimes. It was kind of weird, and the first time that I personally had witnessed something like that on campus. I heard a rumor that there was a psych grad student who was dong research by gauging people's reactions to protesters and was protesting something different every Wednesday, so I'm not quite sure if the guy was for real or was just trolling. (The really scary thing was, I heard some guys walking behind me agreeing with the guy with the sign).
 To counter-balance that, I walked into the bookstore later that day to get some gloves for my chem lab. While I was in there, I heard this low thrumming noise. I walked downstairs, and, lo and behold, it was some visiting Buddhist monks doing some kind of sand-mandala ritual. It was kind of out of the blue - they were doing this ancient ritual right next to the section of the bookstore where they sell computers and apple stuff. It was very beautiful, and surprising to find.
  In other news, I survived my first major test and have an A in the precalculus section of Calc 1 (whew). My sand volleyball team plays its first game tonight against our Resident Assistant's team, which should be a blast. I'm going on the Freshman retreat through the Newman Center this weekend. Also last Saturday, I went to my first build day for Rube Goldberg club. The theme of the machine is camping, and the end goal is to zip a zipper. I figured out how to put pictures into this, so, this is me helping to prototype a step with, yes, tinker toys, duct tape, and train tracks.(If you can't tell, it's supposed to be a snake going down a tree:-)) 
Quick note on sororities - probably not. It turns out that a good chunk of them are on probation, and after moving in a lot of the girls who were rushing into Coronado, a lot of them are not really the kind of people I want to spend a lot of time with. (I mean, two full boxes of costumes? and Two hours before the intro to do make-up? I don't think so). I'm sure there are some great people in them, it's just not my thing. I'm meeting plenty of fantastic people elsewhere, and I'll do my philanthropy through Society of Women Engineers or Engineers without Borders or Circle K. Maybe an honors or professional fraternity later, but probably not this year, if ever.
Have a great week! I'll post again soon. And a great quote I learned - "Be yourself, because everyone else is already taken," Oscar Wilde.

No comments:

Post a Comment