Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Fire Drills

So in total, I think I've experienced three fire "drills" while on campus.
The first was during UA Clicks, the mandatory freshman event where we learn about academic integrity and what kinds of technology and websites are used regularly at the U of A. That made a boring and mostly unnecessary event slightly more exciting but a lot longer. However, it kept me from doing my duties as a HI team member. It was a story to tell, I guess, because the fire trucks came and everything, but nothing really happened.
The second time, we were playing volleyball outside of the Arizona Sonora dorms. The AZSO fire alarms went off, and those things are really loud. It didn't seem like there was that much of a rush to get out of the building; apparently, that happens in that building all the time (I guess it's one of the "party dorms"). It was over pretty quickly.
The third time was today. My friend Carly from across the hall (who hails form Waimea on the big island of Hawaii) and I were swapping stories about stupid tourists and kind of getting our chem homework done when this earsplitting high pitched beep suddenly went off and lights started flashing. I pulled up my laptop and backpack and followed everyone else. We jumped at the chance to use the "forbidden door" in the game room, only allowed to be opened in a fire situation. About half the dorm was gathered outside on the other side of the street. Apparently this was just a drill, but I wouldn't have been surprised if any of the people in my dorm were playing with matches or soldering irons or something like that.
So that was an experience. I'm glad it didn't happen at five in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment