Sunday, November 24, 2013

Water, Water, Everywhere

Before anyone asks, no, I was not at the Oregon game.
It rained almost this whole weekend, stopping, coincidentally, right before the game started. Before that, it was pouring buckets, there were rivers in the streets, and it was cold and beautiful. 
Friday started out the kind of day that was just a little cloudy, almost drizzly. By the time I was done with my first class, the sky was falling. And there I was, chillin' in my shorts and light jacket. That walk across campus was... um... invigorating. 
I helped run design challenges that day for a high school field trip with SWE (yes, there comes a time in every STEM excursion where someone breaks out the marshmallows/gumdrops and spaghetti) , and most of them looked at me like I was insane. Granted, my hair was wet, my skin was red, and my jacket was soaked, but I wasn't the worst off. It was fun.
On Saturday, I went to all the various tailgates and held out in the cold and the rain. I decided I had has enough, and since it was cold and wet and going to be a blowout (Eugene-ish weather, after all) and I hadn't gone to a build day in a week, I would go build with the Rube club during the game. 
I guess it turned out to be a great game and we won and the rain stopped just in time and Ka'deem Carey broke the U of A rushing record. I guess I should stop going to games. 
On the other hand, we rigged a two-switch system that turned itself on and off, which is pretty cool, and made a new sea monster.
Today, Sunday, the Gila soccer team had its first (and unfortunately, last) playoff game. We fought valiantly despite only having 7 players instead of the usual 9 and playing on a field still gushy from the rain and it being really cold. The final score was 7-3, and we held off the other team until they earned a free kick right outside the penalty box about halfway through the first half. So, for being two men down, we did pretty well. 
It looks like it might rain again tomorrow. It's a nice change from the 90 degree+ weather we've been having.
You know how you tell the out-of-staters from the in-staters? When it's raining, the out-of-staters are not in long pants and are smiling. When it's burning hot, the in-staters are wearing jeans and hoodies and complaining.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment