Friday, November 1, 2013

Almost Crazy

Wow, over 1000 views! Thanks to everyone who's following me (even you, Riley). I honestly really appreciate all the support and everything you people who actually know me who are reading this have given me. And even if you don't, thanks for giving me a numbers boost.

Yesterday was almost pretty crazy. It was Halloween, and I put together a pretty good looking Hermione (from Harry Potter) costume with some help from my friends. After class, I went to Rube officer hours and  helped design a transition step from Stonehenge to Small Bunyan that almost worked. After that, I put on my costume and I let my friend Jacey do my makeup. We almost made the tail end of the Honors College Halloween "party." As college kids do not seem to trick or treat and Jacey, who doesn't usually do the party thing, had been bet that she couldn't get into a frat party, we started looking for one. There were two mistakes made - one, it was only nine o'clock and apparently parties don't start until 11, and two, we brought along Jacey's friend Joe, who is, obviously, a guy. We retreated to the dorm, and I decided I didn't want to go through with going to a party. I almost made it. Another group of my friends had decided to go to another party, though, and their "ratio was off" (put another way, too many guys for not enough girls), so I got dragged along on a trek across campus to a party that wouldn't let the guys in. So, in short, after all that, it was late, I went back to my room, took off everything, ate some candy, and went to bed. No parties, no bars, no mysterious men in pig masks. It was still fun, though.

Earlier in the week, I went to a "networking event" for women in technology related fields. (I didn't stay past the panel presentation because I had class). I met some interesting people from the Math department, Pima IT department, and NetApp. All the panelists (who were from companies like Adobe, Cisco, and CDW) highly recommended a book called "Lean In" (I didn't catch the author). They talked a lot about finding your power, having confidence in yourself, and not obsessing over fitting every bullet on the job description. It was interesting, and the food was good. I'm going to have to find that book now.

The solar oven team also was second highest in my section. That was pretty awesome. Now we just have to write the report. That will be fun.

I'm not sure if you can see this, but this is the Rube Goldberg machine so far. You can totally tell it's a camping scene. https://www.facebook.com/groups/565822086773247/permalink/660217680667020/

Sorry for posting late again. I hope you all had a fantastic Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment