Friday, August 29, 2014

First Week, Mark 2.0

School is back in session for me and for tens of thousands of fellow Wildcats. There was the usual pandemonium, including the free-crap-everywhere rushes, the I-can't-find-my-class 8-balls, the do-you want-to-take-a-survey evangelists, and, of course, the mad mob that follows anyone and everything promising free food.

My semester is going to be all about vectors. My physics, math, and statics courses all heavily rely on mathematical vectors, while my teacher in dance talks about body vectors. Hopefully the synergy  between these classes will help my GPA move in a positive direction by a large magnitude. So far, my classes are interesting. Most of my professors seem to at least speak English and know what they are talking about, which are always plusses. Vector calc promises to be a paradigm shift - it will take a little time for my brain to shift from thinking in two dimensions to thinking in three. Electricity and Magnetism is pretty basic so far - Coulomb's Law is as far as we've gotten. In Statics, we're basically just going over how to use vectors - nothing fancy yet. My non-major classes are American Indian Languages, which promises to be pretty low key but also pretty interesting (DYK - More than a third of all world languages used to be used exclusively in North America), and Theater Dance, where it is undeniable that the teacher has been a dancer her whole life.

Outside of school, I played my first game of Quidditch (a ground based version of the Harry Potter sport of the same name). I went to the first meeting of the semester of the Rube Goldberg club (we're shining shoes this year). I've met a lot of great people in my dorm. I have gone to church. I went to Comedy Corner's first show.

I have a roommate this year. Her name is Sophie, and we're getting along fantastically. She is very passionate about international relations and learning languages. She also loves Harry Potter, so we understand each other.

I'm looking forward to  going to the UNLV game tonight, and getting further along in my classes. I've met a bunch of new people, and this semester is going to be great.

Edit: And because I'm late, I'm giving you 2 songs of the week - my pump-up song "Fooling Yourself" by Styx
and, for the video, "The Writing's on the Wall" by Ok Go.

1 comment:

  1. Cool tune & Good show - I saw that tour at the PHX Memorial coliseum, this show was better than Paradise theatre in 1980....

    ReplyDelete