Friday, August 22, 2014

What I Did Over Summer Vacation

I know I haven't posted in a while, and I apologize, but now, since I'm back in Tucson, I might as well get everyone caught up. (More on Tucson later.)

At the beginning of the summer, I got a ride back to California with a friend. I knew we were getting close to home when the signs started advertising  things like "Pacific Moving" or "Coastal Storage" and the occasional trees (with leaves) started showing up on the side of the road.

The first thing I did when I got home (besides deconstruct the Tetris puzzle that was the trunk of the car) was take a walk to the beach and stick my feet in the water. Then was when I knew I was really home.

I chilled the first few weeks back from school. I got myself reacquainted with the local library, the local street names, and the state of entropy that my room tends towards. Then, I started searching for a job - and found one.

At the beginning of June, I found myself working as a cashier at a beach hut/food truck called Baconmania with a bunch of Irish guys. Yes, we served everything with bacon. Yes, the food and the view were absolutely spectacular. Yes, we did laugh at any vegans who tried to figure out some thing they could order. It was a great experience, and I can now say I am a pro at wrapping things (artichoke hearts, dates, hot dogs, chorizo, mac n cheese...)in bacon. So I made a little money over the summer and new have a t-shirt that says "I ♥ BACON."

I also volunteered at my church's vacation bible school. I ended up having to corral 13 excited 3rd graders for a week (I did have help). That was a ton of fun, although the songs got stuck in my head for the next month or so. 

My mom started taking me to Irish dance classes at Celtic Gold, which has a completely different style of dance than Claddaugh, the dance school I went to until I was about 13. I met a bunch of great ladies and learned some new ceilis. I'm debating about whether or not I should do the set dance special at Oireachtas (the regional competition) since it's in Phoenix this year.

Along the way, I spent valuable time with my family - nuclear and extended - and got to relearn my hometown. It's strange how little things change just enough to make it feel weird to come back.

So, now I'm back in Tucson, the l;and of all beach and no ocean. I've spent the last week as part of the Hall Involvement Team (move-in crew) moving people in and going to leadership and school survival workshops. I've met a bunch of great people, and I'm really looking forward to starting school.


No comments:

Post a Comment