Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Reverie on Cargo Pants

I bought a pair of (men's) cargo pants for an abandoned Halloween costume. I have worn them in public once (despite the possible fashion faux pas), and they have made me realize how non-functional female clothing is.

Most importantly, POCKETS! The primary pair of pockets (on the front near the belt) fits almost my entire forearms. Then, cavernous back pockets, and massive pouches by my thighs that could probably hold an entire Thanksgiving meal's worth of snacks with room for an iPad and more to spare. My normal jeans, which I chose because they have actual pockets that could fit stuff, still barely fit my reasonably sized phone and earbuds, and even then there's still spillage. As a female, it's a luxury not to have to dig in a purse or try to budget how much I can carry when going out - just bringing a phone and a wallet can be a stretch on my jeans.

Second, these pants are not made to be skin tight. My bootcut jeans still hug my butt, hips, and thighs and they're baggy compared to the skinny jeans I abhor. While I know these cargo pants are not made with the female form in mind, even the too-small pair I tried on had plenty of room for my legs to breathe. I now know why guys  find shopping so much easier - they only have to worry about two explicit measurements, while girls have to guess at a million different little variations in size, style, length, and fit - a size 10 tells you almost nothing. I now know that a 34-32 with a belt is close enough, if I ever want to try this experiment again.

Also, the fabric, an olive canvas, hides dirt, doesn't wrinkle, and is pretty comfortable. It's a casual alternative to my usual blue jeans, which have a bad tendency to get beat up and torn.

Despite the social stigma and the awkward bulge of fabric at the crotch when I sit down, I really like these pants. I'm not going to wear them to work, but they seem to work great as casual or concert wear. I don't think I'm going to go out of my way to get more, but I really like the pair I got and will probably keep wearing them.

I suppose the gender-swapped analogue is guys going for girl's skinny jeans, which I've heard that people do with mixed results.

Overall, though, I think the guys got the better end of the deal.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment