Wednesday, November 1, 2017

NaBlEDiNoMo

Every year, hundreds of thousands of people make it a goal to write 50,000 words in November (along with not shaving, being aware of diabetes, and going vegan) as part of National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo was started as a way to bring writers together and to give people a kick in the pants to actually write that novel they've been talking about forever.

Every year I have friends who participate and get close. I even tried once or twice myself, often in a post-Halloween sugar detox depression, only to realize that 1,667 words a day is a heck of a lot and give up my (mostly directionless, plot-less, single character) attempts at a novel within the first few days.

The idea is kind of exhilarating - you write like mad for a month and at the end you have something you can slam down triumphantly on a publisher's desk only to have them throw it in the slush pile with everyone else's - or maybe it becomes the next Harry Potter. Who knows? It's all fun.

That being said, I am not - repeat NOT - participating in NaNoWriMo this year (Nor am I participating in NaFADOYBIMSCOM).

I am, however, at a point in my life where I would really like to get better at writing (with feedback) and I need achievable, tangible regular goals. I also have a lot of thoughts and opinions on stuff that I am just dying for the Internet to ignore.

As such I will be participating in NaBlEDiNoMo - National Blog Every Day in November Month. Every day this month, I will post something new on this blog. It may be a sentence, it may be a story, it may be ranty, it may be a meditation - I don't know yet, but every day on November 2017, something sill be going up. That way, I can still participate in all the fun part of NaNoWriMo - the word wars, the storytelling, the writing stupid shit that sounds so terrible you laugh while sobbing - without the added pressures of having to end up with one coherent story and having a word count.

I do have some things that I would ask of you, dear reader, if indeed you are not a German adbot (in which case, I AM TOTALLY HUMAN AND WELCOME YOUR HUMAN VIEWS).
First, I would love if you commented, said hi, or interacted with what you read. I would love to know that it is not just German adbots reading my stuff.
Second, I welcome any and all constructive criticism. I really do want to get better at writing and they say the way to get better at writing is to just write, but knowing how I can get better would really help me out. (Note: "Git Gud" and "Be happier" are not valid criticisms)
Finally, know that I reserve the right to opinions and ideas that may not match you own or others. Please, if you do interact with me or the single other reader in France, please be civil.

Thanks. Let the fun begin!

I'll see you tomorrow.

-G :)

No comments:

Post a Comment