Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Gray Underside of My Shininess

I know I make it sound like college is all fun and no work, but the truth is that I work hard. I study a lot. I spend way too much time on lab reports. I assume that most of you would bet bored to death of this blog if I wrote about studying and homework, and I'd rather write about the random fun and funny stuff that happens because I spend the rest of the day contemplating the grand mysteries of the universe that I'm trying to stuff into my brain. So yes, I do work. I do a lot of work. However, sometimes, the work becomes repetitive, tedious, and occasionally boring, and I don't wish to submit you, my dear readers, to the same torment I (mostly) willingly put myself through.

This semester is the one with the duller, theory-filled classes that are prerequisites to the fun classes I can start taking next semester. It's not that the classes I'm taking aren't interesting, because they are, but I'm kinda done with endless analysis of stress-strain curves and triple integrals and assorted matrices just to explain why something breaks when you pull on it. I do have a lab (albeit on Friday night) where I actually get to break stuff, which makes it all a little bit better.

Right now, midterm season has begun, which means late nights shivering by the harsh glow of an LCD screen locked away in a deep dark cave, never to be seen again by man or beast. Or maybe just never be seen by any of the people I call friends or acquaintances. On top of that, I'm getting into the whole job search thing early this year (and the huge school-wide career fair is this Tuesday) so I'm also trying to figure out what I actually want to do with my life, or at least next summer. Bechtel was a great experience, but I want to try something different before I decide to stick with construction. So there's resumes to tailor and cover letters to write too.

Unusual fun stuff that happened this week:
ESPN College Game Day came to campus. I slept in.
I finally got to Pima Air and Space Museum because I have a friend who works there. That was pretty damn cool. They have a full 787 out in the yard, and a shard of moon rock inside one of the hangars.
I played some pretty intense Foosball with my Religious Ed kids - and got handily beat.
I got a new favorite class at the rec - Body Combat. However, I made the mistake of going on a two-ish mile run before a class that was advertised as intense cardio, and wound up really dehydrated. Oops.

And that's really about it.
Check next week sometime between Thursday and Sunday (but not on Friday) for the next thrilling installment of my life and times.

No comments:

Post a Comment