Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day

To all the mothers in my life: I know you all read this, so...
I wouldn't be where I am today without my mom. I don't mean just literally (but yes, she did drive me to the good old U of A) but in every other way too. My mother was one of the people who instilled in me a love of books and stories. I remember she used to read to me every night and would explain unfamiliar words and concepts and make the stories come to life (at least until I got impatient and wanted to finish the books faster). She showed me how to be curious and trying new things, whether Irish Dance or some funky new recipe. Although she claims sometimes she's not the crafty one, she has shown me how to be creative. She's most known for her kick-ass gingerbread houses, but there is so much more to her. I have my mom to thank for letting me dabble in duct tape, play with fuzzy posters, and learn (a little) about how to cook.
The most important thing I've learned from my mom is how to be strong. There is, of course, the physically strong - she encouraged me to play sports and take up running, which I have never regretted. More importantly, though, she taught me to be mentally strong, to stick up for myself and others when I needed to, to be proactive in order to get where I wanted to go. I was never the most popular kid in school, and she was there for me when I needed someone to help me be strong.
And, I know you probably won't admit it, but you were (and still are) this mom:
You introduced me to Hermione Granger, Bilbo Baggins, and Han Solo and Princess Leia, along with Spock, Laura Ingalls, and Anne who became some of my best friends and role models growing up. You undeniably helped turn me into the nerd I am today. So, for all that, thank you, Mom.

Also, to Grandma - you've taught me that everything can be fun and colorful, and that the materials at hand can be used to make amazing things. You've also shown me how to be cheerful through the hardest situations. Your food is always amazingly good, and you were the first person to tell me that sometimes it was okay to have pie for breakfast. You helped me learn how to be respectful, but also how to have fun. Thank you, Grandma, for everything.

To Mum - you've always supported the artistic endeavors of all your grandkids and have been there to support us in so many ways. I see myself repeating you sometimes - although I don't necessarily read the Wall Street Journal, I am always on the lookout for interesting articles and new discoveries. I always enjoyed those birthday shopping trips, although I would go home exhausted afterwards. You've shown me that growing up doesn't necessarily mean getting older. You've been the one to hold the family together. So thank you, Mum.
To all the aunts, x cousins y-times removed, and other various family members - you have all shown me how to be my best, to do what I love, to stick up for myself, that it's okay to be silly and sassy, and that I do not have to be a carbon copy of my mom (no matter how many times I've been told I look like her) (no offense meant, Mom). You've been inspiration and counsel to me when I needed it, even if I didn't always ask.

To all other mother figures in my life (including but not limited to: teachers, coaches, neighbors, friends, etc.)- thanks for being there for me when I needed it and for teaching me so much.

And for all mother everywhere:    

Happy Mother's Day. I hope I can be forgiven for forgetting to send cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment