Thursday, April 3, 2014

What I did over Spring Break

I apologize, I've been negligent for the past few weeks.
So....
Two weeks ago was Spring Break.
I stayed on campus, mostly. I caught up on a couple of TV shows friends told me I was supposed to watch, got through the Divergent trilogy (that ending was harsh), ran a little, explored, and slept in.

That first weekend was the Tucson Festival of Books, which was huge. White tents full of established authors, publishers looking for the next big thing, food, science, and more covered the Mall from Old Main all the way up to McKale Center. I saw Lois Lowry plugging her new book, the guy who wrote Warm Bodies doing stand up, Bill Walsh (a copy editor from the Washington Post) explaining why "literally" should literally mean "literally", a really good high school steel drum band, and Maguire School of Irish Dance (brings back mixed memories). I also finally got some good frybread. I spent most of Saturday just exploring by myself and with Clayton. I also met his mom, who is really nice, and we went out to see Non-Stop, a pretty good Liam Neeson movie. Tons of fun.

The first few nights, I hung out with the few people who were left in the dorm. We watched "Community," a show about a totally unrealistic community college which was also Chevy Chase's comedic last stand, for a while. One night, we played a serious game of hide and seek, which covered the bottom corner of campus and was intense (don't worry, we stayed in pairs and every pair had to share a picture every few minutes). The real craziness started when someone inevitably broke out the Cards Against Humanity - which, as it says on the box, is a "card game for horrible people." Hilarity ensued. This is who was playing hide and seek:


On Thursday, I went camping with a friend's church group. It started off pretty badly - the people who drove us almost forgot the food (but didn't) and, going up the windy road to the campsite, I got barfed on by a motion sick dog named Sly. He wasn't very.
Anyway, camping was really fun. There were ten of us all together (plus two dogs), and I was the only one who wasn't usually part of the group, but that wasn't a problem. I went geocaching for the first time and found an ammo box full of rubber ducks, among other things. We played a lot of Catchphrase, Buzzword and Egyptian Rat Slap in our spare time. The food was really good - one of the guys made a killer beef roast over the fire. The cold wasn't too bad, the lake we were right next to was beautiful, and the dogs made everything funny. I had a great time, met a lot of new people, and came back smelling like dog and smoke.
We got back on Sunday, and I caught up on homework, and returned to school refreshed.

No comments:

Post a Comment