Thursday, April 3, 2014

Catching Up

I have been busy, and a bit negligent about blog posts, so there's triple this week.

On the note of the Arizona Wisconsin basketball game and subsequent riots - There was free food at Park Student Union, so before the game I walked across campus to get some. I saw at least 10 police cars lined up between Old Main and the cow fence just outside of University Drive. I decided to walk back to my dorm and watch the game with people I actually knew, so I headed back to Gila after consuming some pretty good hot wings. I watched the game. The groans with the last shot could be heard all over campus and off it. There was shouting, you know, "U of A" and all, but nothing serious. I headed upstairs and played cards with my friends. About half an hour later, the sirens started, and they continued through the night. I was not in the streets, but I know people who were.
I walked University the next day and could see no lasting damage. Sure, there were a few stray beer bottles, a few tree branches were broken, but there was no lasting damage. The most distinctive sign of what had happened the night before was the white powdery streaks on the street in front of Gentle Ben's (a popular bar), presumably from the pepper balls. And that was that. It cleaned up very nicely.

What's going on with me - I got a perfect score on my last math test, so I'm pretty proud of that.
I've been working on homework, and my grades are looking better.
The Spring Break tours are still happening. It's kind of funny - you can tell the prospective students by the red folder they carry and the blank look on their faces. There are a ton - much more than any other time that I've seen.
I've got an MSE test tomorrow. Funny thing - my professor posted a study guide on April Fools Day with a link to "additional information." He totally rickrolled the entire class. What is rickrolling, you ask? Well, it's this trend that started on 4chan and some other programming boards. He basically did this.

Biggest news though - next week, I'm embarking on a 30 hour car trip with 17 other crazy people to compete at the national Rube Goldberg Competition at COSI in Columbus Ohio. A video of what the machine looks like can be found here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPczsnDSdWU  (and yes, this is a real link). So, we're leaving early Thursday morning, taking a truck with the machine and a 15 passenger van, driving cross country, crashing for a few hours, setting up the machine, visiting COSI and Ohio State, competing and exhibiting the machine, crashing again, and then heading back in time for school on Tuesday. It's going to be so much fun - and of course, we're going to beat Purdue. I'm really looking forward to that.
I will take pictures, and, time and brain power permitting, I will post from the competition.

Other than that, it's been pretty boting. Lots of schoolwork, a little Dungeons and Dragons, some hanging with Clayton, and little time to chill. I'm still loving college and taking it all in stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment