Thursday, February 20, 2014

Growing Older or Growing Up

I am now officially old. Sometime in this past year or so I magically turned into an adult - a legal for most purposes adult. The problem with that is that I still feel like a kid, like I know nothing and everything is exciting and new and strange. I am no longer on that magical age border that separates the girls from the women (legally, anyway), and seeing that feels weird. The honest truth is that I still have no clue what I'm doing - I've just gotten better at faking it.
So this week has been pretty eventful.
For one thing - it's national Engineers Week (eWeek for short) which means tons of activities and stuff going on through the College of Engineering. The big flick is the eWeek Competition, which is kinda like Revenge of the Nerds Homecoming competition except it's for clubs and not frats and everything is strictly alcohol free. So that kicked off and I got a cool shirt, and I've been competing mostly for UA Rube Goldberg.
The first event I went to was the Mr. & Mrs. Engineering Pageant - the Rube president won Mr. Engineering by cross dressing and being generally hilarious. I actually competed in "Engineer that Masterpiece," where we were given a bunch of random stuff and told to recreate Edward Munch's "Scream." This is what it ended up looking like:
   The winner of eWeek gets bragging rights and a little extra funding. But really, everyone's goal is just to beat SHPE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers), who have won for three years running. The friendly competition has been a ton of fun.
In other Rube news, we've had one run with one intervention (someone touching the machine to get it restarted) and one run where everything worked, just not in the right order. I don't have videos, but the machine looks like this:

And I probably spent too much time making a cup say "Bear Down Arizona."
Classes are going okay. It's midterm season, so I've had a couple of tests this week, but they haven't seemed too terrible. My MSE professor has been out and back again. He's working with Hieronymus Bosch's paintings, and what he does is really cool. He takes photos with different wavelengths of light and compiles the images into an interactive viewer so that the actual painting can be compared with the drawing, which can be found here.  
And in more news, I have a boyfriend (I know, I can't quite believe it myself) . His name is Clayton, and he's super sweet and nerdy. He lives in my dorm and is also studying engineering. He likes Firefly and anime and long walks on the beach and whatnot. He's also very punny.
That's it from me this week. And in famous quotes, "Happiness is a state of mind. It depends on how you look at things," said by Walt Disney. And as seen on campus:
EDIT: A perfect run of the Rube Goldberg machine has been achieved. More pics and videos to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment